Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Food, Family, Football.....and Anxiety- Its Thanksgiving 2009.....Almost!


An artist's rendition of the First Thanksgiving. The Indians should have known something was up when they were relegated to The Kiddie Table.

I got some good news the other day...my Thanksgiving guest list just doubled. It was going to be my Mom, my Dad, my cousin and me.....and my brother called and he'll be here along with my sister-in-law, my nephew, and my niece and her husband.

So....I'm cooking for nine this year. And the planning stage went into full tilt yesterday. Scrap the fancy cranberries with nuts and mandarin oranges and go with plain old cranberries, fancier schmancier veggies will now be plain old green beans, get butter instead of margarine....and be sure to get at least one more case of Yuengling, all in the interest of getting stuff on the menu that everybody will actually like. Hey, I know my family.

(And while I'm at it...do check out that Yuengling Brewery Website- you have to be over 21 to enter. Do they have pictures of hot naked female brewmasters there or something?)

So I bought the 21 pound turkey yesterday, and the stuffing mix, jumbo shrimp to snack on while we watch Detroit get clocked by Green Bay. And it will get worse before it gets better. The Oakland Raiders visit the Dallas Cowboys next; I guess that one's the CBS game at 4:00PM. The best part about that start time is that we'll miss this game because will be eating dinner, and its just as well. I don't think I could handle three hours of "who's worse to work for, Al Davis or Jerry Jones?". The night game, Giants at Broncos, is the only game I really care about this Thanksgiving.

But that's in a couple of days...today its getting the house in order and making sure we have anything else necessary for Thanksgiving dinner, tomorrow its about getting the desserts and starting the food prep for Thursday...not to mention cleaning out the fridge to make room for all of the leftovers. And storage containers...I need to have tops that match the containers lined up and ready to go. I can't handle playing mix and match when I've been eating and drinking all day and have to play that game. Its like algebra- keep like things together.

Ice....big bags of ice. Beer, soda, and wine go in the ice chest(s), to preserve room for the leftovers.

So, my loyal readers. If you're coming here to read my opinion of the latest in current events, politics, pop culture, music, or sports....faggeddabouttit! It's not going to get back to "normal" around here until Sunday at the earliest....whatever normal is.

And then Monday I can start making myself crazy because Christmas is less than a month away.

No comments:

Post a Comment