Monday, May 9, 2011

Sufjan Stevens


Sufjan Stevens has revealed that he suffered a nervous breakdown after watching 'Fantastic Mr Fox'.
Sufjan Stevens has always been open about his mental health. Prone to depression, interviews prior to last year's burst of new material found the American songwriter in an almost inconsolable mood.
Threatening to reject music forever, sessions for new album 'The Age Of Adz' were lengthy, protracted and - it seems - mentally unstable.
Speaking to The Observer, the singer admitted that he suffered with mental health problems during the gestation of the record. Sufjan Stevens explained that he woke up one morning feeling intensely lethargic, yet with extreme adrenaline rushes in his chest.
Consulting doctors, psychiatrists and more the songwriter was advised to stay away from crowded rooms and noise. Becoming hypersensitive to sensory stimulation, Sufjan Stevens refused to watch films for three months.
Settling down to watch Wes Anderson's version of 'Fantastic Mr Fox' it seems the experience was too much for him. Forced to take a Xanax to recover, the songwriter described the situation as "really supernatural".
Recovering to complete the album, Sufjan Stevens later re-watched 'Fantastic Mr Fox' to find it "beautiful" and with "no negative response".
Commenting on his songwriting, Stevens admitted to a crisis of confidence. "I went through a period of questioning motive and function and now I no longer have the privilege of questioning. I just have the privilege of celebrating my music and sharing it," he said.
"I don't really want to get caught up in that self-doubt any more. I've always been really insecure about what I do, but those existential conundrums are really circuitous and – what's the word? – unproductive. You know, I don't think my music is important, I don't think it's changing the world, I don't think it's art. I just think it's music. It is what it is."
Sufjan Stevens is gearing up for the following tour dates:
May
12 London Royal Festival Hall
13 London Royal Festival Hall
14 Brighton Dome
16 Gateshead The Sage
17 Dublin Olympia
18 Dublin Olympia
19 Manchester Apollo

No comments:

Post a Comment